10/29/2017

Blue Varigated Snowflake by MaryM

Blue Varigated Snowflake by MaryM Link (scroll down): http://www.reocities.com/mountainhome1999/bluevarigatedsnowflake.htm
Let me start by saying that the first round with inward facing rings and chains around the outside was very simple to get right. However, the next round where I had to join chains, created a 'backward' feeling, which I was able to solve eventually.

So, I made the first one, the blue one, from Thread Art Perle Cotton 8, color 519, with a 1mm Prym cro-tat hook. The thread is 2 ply and flimsy. I would be easy to pull apart, but with cro-tatting, you have to keep a little looser so you can pull the hook thru the stitches. The thread makes a limp project, as the thread has no body. I notice that my chains are al twisted at the connections.

So, I made another one, to see if I could find a way to join without twisted chains. My next attempt was DMC Petra size 3. color Blanc. I used the Annie’s Attic cro-tat hook (about a 6) This size helped me to scrutinize the chains better, and I worked out the problem. But on finishing, discovered that I had managed to twist the beginning chains, and that resulted in every ring going on the wrong side, with the picot bands on the opposite side as the ring’s picot bands in the center round. If you look at the bottom ring, at 6:00, you can see the chain going up on the left is twisted - the culprit, the first ring and so all are on backward. So.. I made a 3rd attempt to resolve the rings on the backside, and make sure why they are on the backside.

 I tried to use Aunt Lydia, but I just hate to try to cro-tat with thread that is not slippery, I really need to have slippery thread that lets the hook slide thru, so….

 For my 3rd attempt I chose Hobby Lobby’s Artiste size 10, 102 Porcelain. Used the Prym 1mm cro-tat hook with it. It is the smaller white one, at the bottom of picture. I managed to get all the rings face up, and the connections made with no twist! WOOT!

No comments: