12/29/2019

My first cro-tatted snowflake pattern: "It's Snowing!"





So, I had this #3 reg cotton crochet thread and a 2mm hook. This would not produce a very declicate snowflake, but I was thinking it could be seen from the street, as a snowflake on the window, attached with a clear sucker cup. I started one from a pattern, BUT, this thread is hard for me, I really prefer to use slippery thread, and also the pattern called for very large rings, which makes it harder to pull thru SO MANY stitches, with the hook totally loaded. So, I pulled it out and decided to just see if I could make something up. I don't know if it wilhl work or not, but I guess that is how most patterns come about, you just keep trying something else if it doesn't work.
I have no trouble with cro-tat rings that are attached as in the doily I have a video for, with the top picot joining the last ring. But most snowflakes work the other way, with the ring shooting up from the current edge, and the top picot facing out. When I do this, I seem to end up with my rings rotating backward, but I have started trying a different way (this won't make sense until you actually have the problem, and then it will).
I am finding success at crocheting my chain, then turn it over to do the ring, then back over to make the next chain. I am checking each ring after the chain connection to make sure the fronts are all on the same side. So far, I have:
ch 8, slp st together to form ring
12 sc around DO NOT TIE OFF.
rnd 2: ch 3, rw(fold back to right), ring of 3-3-3-3,
rw(fold forward to left), ch 3
Join to prev chain: skp 1 sc and slp st in next
DO NOT TIE OFF.
rnd 3: *ch 5, slp st to picot, ch 5, sl st to picot. rw
R: 3ds, sm picot, lg picot, sm picot, rw,
slp st to same picot.
ch 5, slp to picot, ch 5, skp sc, slp to next sc
*repeat on all rings, till there are 6 finished.
To finish: Join with beginning chain in sc and bring thread thru loop to form small knot, then work thread into the sc around center. Picture 4 is just now finished, not blocked.
*If this resembles any other snowflake, I worked with just my thread and cro-tat hook, not referring to any other pattern or picture.

No comments: